Hi everyone! My name is Alyssa Palmer, and my pronouns are she/they. I am a writer and published author, currently living in southern Alberta. When I’m not working at my day job, which has nothing to do with my passions and everything to do with paying the bills, I’m writing, working as a freelance fiction editor, and spending time with my partner and our pets.
I’m looking forward to this degree, as I think that learning is an essential, important part of life. I finished my first degree, a Bachelor of Fine Arts, in 2006, and my health made it impossible to continue on with other education at that time. I’m finally now able to return to education. I hope that this will also help me switch industries and be able to work more flexibly, as I’d like to be able to pursue employment closer to my passions.
Need to get in touch? E-mail me at alyssa (at) alyssalinnpalmer.com.
My Goals with the MAIS Program
As mentioned above, I’m finally able to pursue further education after health setbacks through much of my 20s. I love to learn, and adore learning for learning’s sake. With this degree, I would like to broaden my horizons and develop a stronger voice and a stronger purpose. This section will be updated as my ideas grow and change.
This section contains links to PDFs of work from courses in my MAIS degree.
MAIS 601: Making Sense of Theory in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Reflective Analysis Assignment
- Focus Area Reflection (Writing & New Media)
- Critical Reflection Essay (Ingold’s “Building, dwelling, living”)
- Final Essay: Deconstructing Tropes in Popular Romance Fiction
MAIS 602: Doing Interdisciplinary Research
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Developmental Art (University of Calgary, 2006)
Master of the Arts: Interdisciplinary Studies, Writing & New Media (Athabasca University, 2021 in progress)
Land Titles / Government of Alberta Training
- Intermediate Paralegal Course (2009)
- Senior Paralegal Course (2011)
- Respect Works (2017)
- Diversity & Inclusion workshop (2018)
- Indigenous Introductory Training (2019)
Writing Courses & Workshops
- Skye Warren Workshop: Instagram and Advertising (April 2020)
- Tracey Cooper-Poesy, David Sweet, Naomi Davis: Fall Into Writing Workshop (October 2019)
- Damon Suede: Character & Dialogue Workshop (May 2019)
- Jim Jackson: Character & Building Relationships with Booksellers Workshop (October 2018)
- Kristan Higgins: Character Development, Writing Humour Workshop (May 2018)
- Marie Force & Joanna Mackenzie: Developing Book Series; Agents (September 2017)
- Eve Silver: Paranormal Romance, and Blue Pencil Live slush (May 2017)
- Adam Dreece: The Author’s Final Frontier (branding, marketing, etc.) (October 2016)
- Debra Dixon: Goal, Motivation & Conflict (May 2015)
- Jane Porter: Romance, & Harlequin Books (October 2014)
- James Scott Bell: The Art of Writing (May 2014)
- Liz Pelletier of Entangled, Angela James of Carina Press: Romance workshop (September 2012)
- Michael Hauge: Writing by 3-Act Structure (May 2012)
- Deidre Knight & Emily Ohanjanians: Romance Workshop & Agent Pitches (September 2011)
- Mary Buckham: On Writing (May 2011)
- Attendance at panels and instruction at When Words Collide writers’ conference (multiple years, 2012-2020)
Recent Volunteer Experience
AUPE Stakeholder Engagement (2021)
- Engage with multiple stakeholders on the issues
- Historical issue research and organization
- Liaise with AUPE staff to organize events and coordinate staff and volunteers
TIARA (The Inclusive Association of Romance Authors) (2020-Present) inclusiveauthors.com
- Founding member
- Development of bylaws and mission statement
Northern Sky Greyhound Association (2016-Present)
- Assist with community engagement and outreach via meet-and-greets at local pet stores, explaining the greyhound breed and answering questions from potential adopters.
Calgary Association of the Romance Writers of America (2011-2020)
- Held Vice-President: Communications, Diversity Liaison and webmaster positions.
- Organize monthly meetings, twice yearly workshops, and work to make the organization more diverse in its membership.
My Publications, Panels & Presentations
- The Writer’s Block Radio Show (February 14, 2021)
- When Words Collide: Kink, BDSM, Consent & Feminism (panel, 2018)
- When Words Collide: What is RWA and How Can It Help You? (panel, 2018)
- When Words Collide: Women of Stampede: Group Writing Projects (panel, 2018)
- More Than a Guilty Pleasure: Why Reading (and Writing) Romance is Important (August 2017, with M Jane Colette)
- More Than a Guilty Pleasure: Why Reading (and Writing) Romance is Important (February 2017, with M Jane Colette)
- When Words Collide: Romance and Sex Through the Ages (panel, 2012)
Publications & Awards
- Midnight at the Orpheus — Rainbow Award Winner 2016 (Best Bisexual Fiction)
- Betting on Love — Rainbow Award Finalist 2015 (Lesbian Contemporary Romance)
For a list of my non-academic publications, see the My Books page.
Useful Links and Resources